Synplogen is a DNA synthesis startup spun out of Kobe University's Graduate School of Science, Technology and Innovation in February, 2017. Combining its proprietary OGAB techniques with cutting edge genetic engineering, information science and robotics, Synplogen provides a variety of services including DNA synthesis, DNA library development and synthesis and viral vector development for gene therapy applications.
Synplogen offers competitive rates and lead times for up to 100kbp DNA, even with high GC or AT content.
Combinatorial DNA libraries
Synplogen provides large, high quality DNA libraries generated utilizing its industry-leading combinatorial OGAB techniques.
Therapeutic vector characterization and development
Synplogen partners with clients, applying its core DNA synthesis technologies for the creation of novel viral vectors.
- Company Name
- Synplogen Co., Ltd.
HQ: 1-1 Rokkodaicho, Nada-ku Kobe-shi, Hyogo, 657-0013, Japan
R&D Center: Creative Lab for Innovation in Kobe 4F
6-3-7 Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe-shi, Hyogo 650-0047 Japan
- February 21, 2017
- Paid-in Capital
- ¥1.7880 billion (Incl. capital reserves)
- Business Domain
- DNA synthesis R&D
- Board of Directors
- Representative Director, CEOKazuhiko Yamamoto
Kazuhiko Yamamoto graduated in 1988 from the Hitotsubashi University Faculty of Commerce and Management. He has worked at Sumitomo Electric Industries, the Nomura Research Institute, and various venture companies in accounting and strategic management positions. Kazuhiko founded and served as the representative director of an independent venture capital firm from 1998 until 2016. A specialist in development-stage venture investment, Kazuhiko is also an authority on corporate financing, and has worked as a consultant on topics such as mergers and acquisitions and financial strategy.
Since early 2016 Kazuhiko has served as a professor at the Kobe University Graduate School of Science, Technology and Innovation. He has served as a director of Synplogen since September 2018, and appointed as a Representative Director of Synplogen in December 2021.
- Director, CTONaoyuki Yamada, PhD
Naoyuki Yamada graduated with a master degree from the Graduate School of Science, Chiba University in 1990, and received a doctorate in agriculture from the University of Tokyo in 2007. He had worked at Ajinomoto Co., Inc. from 1990 until 2017. He is a specialist in analytical chemistry era, and engaged in the development of separation and structural analysis technologies for biopharmceuticals, food enzymes, etc. And he was also a general manager of advanced analytical research group and cell culture media development group at Ajinomoto Research Institute.
Since 2017, he had served as a manager in the Drug Discovery and Development Division of the Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED), he had been engaged in funding and management (technology strategy and project planning, operation, budget management, etc.) of national R&D programs for drug development and gene therapy. He has served as a director of Synplogen since April 2022.
Science and technology expert, Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED)
Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Medical Life Science, Yokohama City University
Expert Researcher, Center for Science and Technology Foresight and Indicators, National Institute of Science and Technology Policy
- Director, Executive Research FellowKenji Tsuge, PhD
- Kenji Tsuge graduated from the Saitama University Department of Applied Chemistry in 1993. He received his doctorate from the Tokyo Institute of Technology’s Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Science and Engineering in 1998. After a fellowship at the Mitsubishi Kagaku Institute of Life Sciences, Kenji worked as an senior lecturer at the Institute for Advanced Biosciences, Keio University. Since 2016, he has served as an associate professor at the Kobe University Graduate School of Science, Technology and Innovation. Inventor of the OGAB method, Kenji is one of Synplogen’s founders and has served as company director since the company’s creation in February 2017.
- DirectorAkihiko Kondo, PhD
Akihiko Kondo graduated from the Kyoto University Undergraduate School of Industrial Chemistry in 1983. He received his doctorate from the university’s Department of Chemical Engineering in 1988. Beginning in 2003, he joined Kobe University’s Faculty of Engineering, where he later worked as a professor. From 2016 to March 2022, Akihito has served as the head of the Kobe University Graduate School of Science, Technology and Innovation. Akihito founded Synplogen Co., Ltd. in February 2017, and currently serves as a company director.
Academic profile: http://www2.kobe-u.ac.jp/~akondo/kondo.html
- DirectorHideaki Miyake
- Hideaki Miyake graduated from Keio University Faculty of Economics in 1988. He joined Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd. After working for PwC Consulting Corporation (currently IBM Japan) and an independent venture capital firm, he was appointed as a Representative Director of Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Co., Ltd. (seed accelerator) in January 2016, which specializes in supporting and investing in and fostering start-ups originating from Kobe University. Since 2019, he has served as a Project Associate Professor at the Kobe University Graduate School of Science, Technology, and Innovation. He has served as a director of Synplogen since July 2021.
- DirectorJunichi Sugahara, PhD
- Junichi Sugahara graduated with a B.S. from the Keio University Faculty of Environmental Information in 2007, and subsequently received a doctorate in bioinformatics from the university’s Graduate School of Media and Governance in 2011. An initial founder of Spiber, Junichi has served as a company director since its establishment in 2007, and director of Synplogen since September 2018.
- DirectorTomoyuki Hirose
- Tomoyuki Hirose graduated from University of Tokyo Faculty of Literature in 1995. He joined Nissho Iwai Corporation (currently Sojitz Corporation). After working as a secretary to the president, general manager of the Agribusiness Department, Food & Agribusiness Division, and president of Sojitz do Brasil S.A, and currently general manager of the Business Innovation Office of Sojitz Corporation. He has served as a director of Synplogen since January 2022.
- DirectorKengo Miura
- Kengo Miura graduated with a master degree in engineering from Graduate School of Life Science and Technology, Tokyo Institute of Technology. He joined JAFCO Co., Ltd. (currently JAFCO Group Co., Ltd.) in the same year. where he has worked in the Academic-Corporate Liasion Investment Group as Senior Associate. He has served as a director of Synplogen since December 2021.
- Audit & Supervisory Board MemberNaoya Yamaguchi
Naoya Yamaguchi graduated from Nanzan University Faculty of Letters in 1987. He worked for several domestic venture companies and independent venture capital, and became a project professor at the Innovation Commercialization Division of Kobe University in February 2021. As a seed-acceleration manager, engaged in support for the start-up venture companies from the University's Graduate School of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Prior to his assignment to a university, as a hands-on support for investee venture companies, he was a department manager at an IT venture company, a western Japan regional manager at a major advertising agency digital marketing subsidiary, and strategic planning consulting for interactive marketing for major megabank securities companies. Experienced in corporate revitalization and business structural reform support at a major clothing SPA. He has served as a Audit & Supervisory Board Member of Synplogen since April 2022.
Creative Lab for Innovation in Kobe 4F
Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo
Seven stations from Sannomiya to Port Island
One station from Kobe Airport to Port Island
Two-minute walk from Keisan Kagaku Center Station
For orders or consultation,
or for enquiries regarding our technology or
please contact us using the form below.